Thursday, December 6, 2012

For a Second. Or maybe Two...

He stood there at the station, holding a bunch of lilies for God knows who, with anticipation in his eyes and a nervous smile on his face. Probably a schoolboy, that is what his looks conveyed. I never knew a schoolboy who bought lilies for a date. Or even for a girlfriend. But this one did. There was a ruffled restlessness about him and I couldn't help but notice his haywire hair. Absolutely clueless and yet so adorable in his own innocence.

Lilies always remind me of my boss. He scolded his wife a little for something very silly on the phone one day when we drove back from a meeting. The minute his call ended he called the flower seller near her office and asked him to deliver a bunch of beautiful white lilies to her. Just because he wanted to better her mood. He is a gem of a person. A stubborn boss and quite unreasonable at times but a brilliant human being.

She had a bad day at work today. I waited for about an hour reading my very gripping detective novel before she came. She arrived, dressed in her 'eccentric' style, kept her bag on the chair, rid herself of the jacket and took the seat in front of me. The world then became suddenly bright.  For the both of us.

I was lying in the basement room with the smell of incense that just made sense. Hypnotised and liberated I just heard a voice and some laughter and also felt a little something brush against my back. I knew in my subconscious mind also that I will always be grateful to her for giving me my safe haven. She brought me back into the room and switched on the lights. She said that my phone had been buzzing for a while. I checked. It was You. Waiting outside. I ran bare feet and found You right there. I hugged You and You held me close like I had never left your arms. As always I saw the magical twinkle in your eye.

That song just does not leave my mind. I keep humming it even when I am not. I keep feeling it even when I don't.

Why would she say things about me and my loved ones? I have no clue. I don't even care too much about it. I am weird in my pretty way and so it my life and I love it because it is so.

A lot of hilly terrain acoustics cause the sounds of nearby farmhouse parties to travel all the way to my room. I remember that they used to be an entertainment for me and my silence on the terrace of my old house. So many memories of the quiet times that I hold so close to my heart are brought alive by these drifting DJ tunes.

He was drunk and it was the middle of the path. He took my hand and forced me to shake a leg with him. I was a little tipsy myself so I humoured his offer and danced. Little did I know that dancing on the road is infectious. We ended up grooving to the loud music for a long long time. He waited at my window for an hour after I had slept. He never said he did.

You make Delhi winters just the best season of all times. In fact You make all the seasons more beautiful than they ever were. Your touch sill tingles and sends a warmth running across my entire body.

"Just come home. I will take you out for lunch. I can come and pick you up if you want."

2 comments:

Soumya said...

Such a sweet post Anu.

S said...

I love you! You're my number one :)